Monday, March 7, 2011

11 years ago today.

11 years ago today, was the day we met fate.
We took our precious 8 week old baby to see the cardiologist.
We knew that she had a heart defect but we did not know the severity of it.
Tetrology of Fallot.  Such a foreign word to me that day.
Speak to me in a language I know. Please?
As the cardiologist began to assess Mallory, I quickly began to understand "just how bad it was".
My training in the medical field was my friend that day. 
Low oxygen saturation.  Tachypnea. Cyanosis.
All things I understood.

"Your baby needs to have surgery.  As soon as possible.  She is not stable.  She will need to be flown to a higher level facility.  What is your preference?" asked the cardiologist.

"Where would you send your child?" I asked.  Not paying attention to distance or even if our insurance would cover.  I wanted the best.

"Children's Mercy" he replied and the decision was made.

Things moved fast.  I was numb to everything.  Phone calls needed to be made, but I didn't even know where to start.

Once, Mallory was on her way safe in the hands of an awesome flight crew.  We headed home to pack.
I stopped by work and told my boss that even though I just returned from maternity leave, I was going to need some time off.  He understood.  I only hope he knows how I truly appreciated his support as a boss and friend during that time.

We made the drive to K.C.  We knew little of this metropolis.  The turnpike attendant gave us some directions but we still ended up lost.  We drove through a part of town that was questionable and to be honest......scary.  We sat low in our seats with the doors locked and prayed that we wouldn't make another wrong turn.

We arrived at Children's Mercy and were met by gracious volunteers that took us to the nurses station to find our daughter.  We were met by a social worker who informed us of the events that would take place over the next couple of days. 

Surgery, ICU, Recovery. 
All things an 8 week old baby should not have to endure.

Since we traveled a great distance and our daughter was listed on the critical list (not a list you want to be on), we were provided with a family room at the hospital for the next two nights.   We headed off to bed after seeing Mallory, but hardly slept knowing that surgery would be the next day.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I am so glad that Mallory survived her surgery and is a healthy kiddo now!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails