Friday, February 18, 2011

Grandma.

It has been a year today, since Grandma Ina went home to her Savior. 
Grandma didn't live an extravagant wealthy life to societies standards. 
She grew up poor, raised eight children on a small farm, and worked hard every day.
Grandma didn't have a retirement fund, a pension, a summer home. 
What she did have was values, faith, work ethic.
What I remember most about Grandma was her acceptance of any situation or person. 
She just rolled with it.
Nothing really surprised her. 

Grandma loved the Lord.  To this day, hymns run through my head.  I don't think that Grandma had a waking hour that she wasn't humming a hymn.  She attended the Methodist Church.  I remember it being quite the honor to go to the Mother-Daughter Banquet with her. 

Grandma & Grandpa had a farm and operated a small dairy.

 Grandma loved her simple life.  A life on the farm. 
A large family.  It was her way of life. 

 My parents married in 1976.  Not too long after, they moved to the farm to raise their family and help with the dairy.

 Not many grandchildren have the opportunity to grow up a stone's throw from their grandparents.
I remember staying with my grandparents and watching Wheel of Fortune and Hee Haw.
I remember eating my Grandma's Angel Food cake and oatmeal cookies.
My sister's and I used to sit  in the living room and play beauty shop.
We would take our turns spraying Grandma's hair with water, combing it, then setting it in rollers.
She would patiently sit there and take it.
I remember my Grandma cleaning chickens.
I also remember that she always had rhubarb.

As my sister's and I grew older, she would haul us to town to play BINGO at the Legion.

Every summer, as much family as possible would make their way to the farm for time together. 
We would sit and talk. eat.  play.
Grandma was happiest with her family present.
We would sit and eat watermelon with juices running down our chin.
We would play softball in the alfalfa field.
We would camp out at night on the hay racks.
These are memories that I will always have. 
After Grandpa passed away, Grandma moved to town and experienced a new life.
She went to play cards.
She quilted.  LOTS.
I am the proud owner of a quilt made by my grandmother.  It is worn and stained and used.
The way she would have wanted it.
It's my comfort on a lazy day or when I am sick.
Grandma took bus trips and was even in a band.
Yeah, I know.  My Grandma ROCKED.

 I can truly say that my Grandmother had a joyful life.  She experienced life.  She was loved.
She is now missed. 
Her memory lives on at the farm.  In the family gatherings that take place every summer. 
Not everyone can make it each year, but most of the family does. 
It's tradition.  It's togetherness.  It's remembering the values that Grandma instilled.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails